Skip to main content

High School isn't Forever

When I was asked to write an article for the John Jay newspaper, I was admittedly a bit hesitant. I didn’t think anyone would really want to hear from me. If I’m honest, despite having incredible friends all throughout high school, I couldn’t help but feel like an outcast. A lot of my time at John Jay was spent trying to avoid people. I always seemed to get stuck with all the people that didn’t like me in one class. I tried to be nice, but then I’d be made fun of. When I was mean and defensive, I was made fun of more. I felt like I couldn’t win.
Needless to say, high school was rough for me. At the end of my freshman year, I stopped eating. In the beginning of my sophomore year, I weighed 76 pounds. It took me until the middle of my junior year to make it back up to 93 pounds, and I still struggled to keep the weight on for a long time. During most of my sophomore year, I had anxiety attacks three or four times a week. Sometimes they were so severe that I’d get sick. I hid my insecurities behind my crazy clothes and heavy makeup. By the time I got to my senior year, I had damaged my hair so much from dying and straightening it that I finally decided to cut it short. I felt like my friends only talked to me out of pity. I stayed close to my teachers in hopes that they’d help me when I needed. Of course they helped, but it wasn’t enough to make school a happy place for me.
Over the four years you spend at John Jay, you will hear that college is different about fourteen billion times from your parents, teachers, and older friends. You are told that the workload is heavier, and that you’ll need to study more. You’re told that you have to be more responsible. All of this is true, but it leaves out the fact the college is a completely different social atmosphere as well.
The first thing I noticed when I walked on to the Dutchess campus was that people only really dressed nicely for the first week or two. Having been someone who used to wear skirts almost every day (even in the winter!), it was a complete contrast to my experience at high school. Sure, you can dress nice any day you want, but most days you can stick to your sweatpants or your leggings. In my experience in college, I’ve also noticed that people are a lot more inclusive. Sure, everyone’s got their group of friends, but it doesn’t feel quite as cliquey as it used to. Nobody is really considered “popular.” Rumors don’t really go around because almost everyone has matured enough to realize that they’re pointless and stupid. The people who used to be involved in the most drama are now irrelevant. From what I’ve seen, the people I encounter nowadays are a lot less petty and entitled than I’d been accustomed to in high school.
Even though I’m working harder than I did in high school, I don’t really mind it. The work keeps me busy, and I manage my time well enough to get everything done on time. I’ve made friends with my professors, which has made it easier to ask for help when it’s needed. My grades are a bit better than they were in high school. I even received a 118% on one of my midterms! One hundred and eighteen percent!! Despite all the work I’ve been doing in classes and my job, I’m still close with my friends. I’ve also made multiple new friends since entering college. I’m finally at a point where I know that they are my friends, and they don’t just talk to me because they feel bad for me.

Looking back, high school offered me so many great teachers and opportunities, but I suppose being different (and as a result, bullied) kept me from striving. Now that I’m in college, I feel so much less stressed- even on my worst days. I guess what I’m trying to say is that high school does not determine how you’ll be treated in the future. If you’re anything like me, you’ll find that college gives you an opportunity to bloom without worry of who’s around to see it, or how they’ll react. Plenty of ninth grade teachers will tell you that high school is the best four years of your life. If you’re made fun of so much that you don’t want to go to your classes, or you don’t go to lunch for fear of sitting alone, or you feel like everyone is always laughing at you- if you’re struggling right now, I promise you it gets better.

Popular posts from this blog

History Honors Society Wrapping Party

Hot chocolate, pretzels, marshmallows, wrapping paper and boxes towered feet high; that’s what you would have seen in the cafeteria during the History Honors Society wrapping party. After school, the café was filled with teens getting their volunteering hours while having fun and helping the community. Hundreds of gifts were being wrapped for the children at the Astor Home. Many of the children residing there were not fortunate enough to get gifts from parents or family. The wrapping party exists as a fun activity that helps provide for those who do not have the same as others. If only you could see their faces when they opened the gifts donated by the John Jay Student Body and teachers. Gifts ranged from giant teddy bears to Pokémon cards and comfy clothes, each specially wrapped by students for a great cause. It was really amazing to see how the John Jay community came together to make this happen. I cannot wait until next year to do it again! By Chelsea Co.

Syrian Civil War

By Nico Z. The Syrian crisis is one of the most complicated international crises in the world. With clashes between government forces and opposition forces, Syria is plagued by a violent civil war that has resulted in at least 250,000 deaths and the rise of Islamic militant groups. Multiple international interventions have only added to the turmoil. It seems as if there is no solution to the conflict. Or is there? March 15, 2011: The Syrian Civil War began as a series of civilized protests against President Bashar al-Assad. Notorious for its poor human rights record and tyrannical nature, the Assad regime responded with violent crackdowns. As a result, there was further unrest. The government’s use of force only worsened the violence. Four months later, the riots were nationwide. Ever since the beginning of the civil war, the United States, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey, have supported the rebels by supplying them with weapons and other military equipment. U.S. President Barack Obama ha

Veganism: The Pro Side

Photo credit:  fs999  via  Foter.com  /  CC BY-NC-ND Imagine if risk for the two leading causes of death in the United States, heart attacks and cancer, dropped by 90%. How that is achievable? Go vegan. Going vegan will protect the environment, the ecosystem, and most importantly, your health. There are many misconceptions with veganism, and they are truly all myths. A very common misconception is that vegans do not receive the six essential nutrients; however, that could not be more false. Going vegan lowers your risk for cancer, diabetes, kidney stones, heart disease, strokes, osteoporosis, and hypertension. It also improves your energy levels, increases bowel movements, reduces PMS, clears skin, leads to weight loss, causes you to feel less bloated, gives you healthier hair and nails and glowing skin, results in better-smelling body odor, ends cravings towards junk food, clears focus, and improves the way you digest food. Readers need to learn accurate information regarding vega